WCSD Proposed Sexuality Education
FAQS: WCSD Sexuality Education
Who appointed the WCSD S.H.A.R.E. Advisory Committee?
According to the Nevada Revised Statute 389.036 the WCSD Board of Trustees appoints the members of the advisory committee whom serve at the pleasure of the board.
Why contact the Board of Trustees? They can't do anything until the vote in June.
It is ultimately up to the Board of Trustees whether this curriculum, created by Advocates for Youth, is accepted into the WCDS or not.
There is nothing legally prohibiting the Board of Trustees from taking a public position on the curriculum before it comes to a vote in June.
What can I do?
Steps you can take to have your voice of opposition heard:
- Write the Board of Trustees asking them to oppose the Advocates for Youth curriculum. (see below for an easy email form that automatically goes to all board members.
- Go to the S.H.A.R.E. Advisory Committee Meetings. (Next date also available on this page)
- Spread the word. Sign up to receive emails from Nevada Family Alliance and share them with your family and friends.
- Be respectful. This is a sensitive subject, but the best way to be heard is to be respectful.
Who is Advocates for Youth?
Advocates for Youth is the organization in which the new proposed sex-education for Washoe County School District is derived from.
Advocates for Youth is a progressive political activist group looking to change Sex Education from a scientific explanation of reproductive organs and sexual risk avoidance to a subjective explanation and exploration of sexuality and gender fluidity.
To learn more about who Advocates for Youth is click here: Advocates for Youth
Where can I review the proposed curriculum?
You can visit the S.H.A.R.E. Website to view all curriculum, including videos by clicking here: WCSD S.H.A.R.E.
Or, you can view each individual grade’s curriculum by clicking on the links below:
Why does Nevada Family Alliance oppose the proposed S.H.A.R.E. curriculum?
- First and foremost, Nevada Family Alliance will not accept any curriculum created by a political activist group.
- This curriculum in NOT medically accurate:
- Curriculum teaches that abstinence fails
- The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists advise that sexual education should focus on delaying the onset of sexual activity; not explore it
- There is no such thing as “low-risk sex” when it comes to teens.
- Is discriminatory to parents and religion, in particular Christianity and Catholicism
- It is age inappropriate:
- In 6th grade teaches students to surf the internet for answers about sex, rather than asking parents.
- It is outside the Nevada Revised Statutes on what Sex Education should include
Contact the Washoe County School District Board of Trustees
Below is a form that we have filled out with the main oppositions to the Advocates for Youth Sexuality Education.
Please feel free to add your remarks, and once you fill out the form and hit send it will automatically be delivered to each board members inbox.
What’s Really Going on?
We are getting mixed messages from the Washoe County School District regarding the status of the S.H.A.R.E. Advisory Committee and their proposed controversial curriculum. Traci Davis, WCSD Superintendent told faith leaders in the community that they were “going back to the drawing board. While, the S.H.A.R.E Advisory Committee agenda for 4/26/17 shows that they are moving forward with their proposal.
Audio from the S.H.A.R.E Advisory Committee Meetings
The video below is compilation of some of the concerning remarks regarding parents, made by committee members during their meetings.